Friday, October 17, 2014

A DAD I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE

 A  DAD I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE

I seen her first steps when she walked to you

I was there holding her for the first breathe she blew

She came to you for advice about a boy

You cherish every moment together, with her you’re life’s a joy

She’s a teen now, and she has withdrawn from you

Don’t worry she’ll be back, and you can talk it through

It almost hurts as much as when her dad walked out on you

On her wedding I gave her away, I was the dad I didn’t have to be

I remember you thought the tux I was wearing looked so gay

Until you seen you’re daughter dancing the first dance with me

Now thinking back the first time when you scrapped your knee

I cried it hurt me more than you, I remember all the tears we’ve been through

Now she has a child of her own, and you’re now a grand mother

I will forever remember all times we been through good and the bad together

Now you can watch her cry when her baby rides her first bike





No comments:

Post a Comment